Colombia - Felipe Arcila -Ice Fermentation - 250g
Farm: Jardins Del Eden
Altitude: 1700-1900 Masl
Process: Natural / Ice
Cup notes: Raisins, Ripe Grapes, Chocolate, Watermelon
Felipe Arcila and his brother Carlos recently purchased Jardines Del Eden coffee farm. Growing coffee has been part of their family’s heritage for generations with both brothers having fond memories of riding through coffee fields with their father and grandfather.
In addition to Castillo variety, they have planted a range of some of the most sought-after coffee varieties at Jardins Del Eden including Gesha, Sidra, and Pink Bourbon. They also cultivate bananas, plantain, and mandarin oranges on the farm.
This coffee, grown by Felipe, was processed using a Natural Ice process. Cherries are carefully selected and exposed to dry aerobic fermentation for 24 hours after cultivation. They are then placed in grain pro bags for 50 hours. It is imperative to maintain a temperature below 22% during this time. following this, the coffee is frozen for 72 hours before being placed on raised beds ensuring the cherries are kept under 35 degrees until the ideal moisture content is achieved.
The resulting coffee is bursting with complexity. On cupping, it is full of juicy flavours from sweet raisins to fresh watermelon.
- Using the inverted method with 14 grams of coffee.
- For Aeropress I love to grind slightly finer, 14 clicks on Comandante.
- Start by adding the coffee into the Aeropress.
- Pour 40 grams of water and stir gently.
- After 30 seconds add 200g of water.
- Place the lid and release the excess air.
- Place the Aeropress on the server and start pressing on the 1-minute mark to finish at 1:30.